MP Paul Lefebvre’s Canada 150 Literacy Challenge
- Sudbury Member of Parliament Paul Lefebvre is encouraging students in grades 5-8 to celebrate their nationalism by participating in the Canada 150 Literacy Challenge. Students are encouraged to read literature that reflects Canadian heritage or culture for up to 150 hours over the next couple of months.
- Participants can complete this challenge either as a class, group, or independently. Upon submission of reading logs, all students will receive a commemorative certificate signed by MP Paul Lefebvre honouring their passion for reading.
- Students can go the extra mile and write a brief speech, anecdote, or poem; 2-minute maximum, and winners will have the chance to present their submissions during Canada Day festivities. There will be prizes for the first three submissions selected.
- All students in the Sudbury riding are encouraged to participate in the Canada 150 Literacy Challenge. Schools and public libraries will have the chance to partner and encourage students to participate.
- Monday, April 5th, 2017, participating schools will begin receiving promotional flyers and reading logs through email.
- Friday, April 7, 2017, will mark the beginning of MP Paul Lefebvre’s Canada 150 Literacy Challenge.
- Monday, June 12, 2017, will be the last day to submit reading logs and student contributions.
- Monday, June 19, 2017, students will find out who the chosen winners are. If a student is not available to read their speech, another student who is available will be chosen in their place.
- Saturday, July 1, 2017 (Canada’s 150th) is the day the speeches will be presented for Canada Day.
Students who participate in reading events such as Reading Town, Salon du Livre, reading trails, or reading clubs will receive three-hour literature credits per reading attended, but they must have their participation acknowledged with a signature from the host, parent, or guardian.
- Fulfill the role of MP for a day
- Receive 4 general passes to Science North
- $50 Gift card to dine at M.I.C Canada
- 4 general passes to ARC Climbing Yoga Fitness
- Canada 150 Swag
- $30 Gift Card to Chapters
- Canada 150 Swag
All reading logs and content must be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. on June 12, 2017, to Paul.Lefebvre.C1@Parl.gc.ca or in person or mail to 152 Durham Street, Sudbury, P3E 3M7. The five students who have read the most will be invited to meet MP Paul Lefebvre and receive an official piece of parliament in the form of an authentic Canada 150 pin.
Paul Lefebvre MP Sudbury